The primary reason for a computer to fail to function properly is the use of an expired or outdated antivirus software or the lack of it. Most people do not consider an antivirus software to be important which can result in dire consequences. There are different types of computer viruses which can harm your PC in different ways.
The following scenarios are some of the instances where your computer could be a victim of a malware attack:
● Make the computer run really slow
● Prevent the system from booting up
● Steal personal and financial information
● Cause damage to the system
● Change how the computer functions without the administrator’s knowledge
● Get files transferred from one system to another within the network
● Attack other computers using the first one as a host
● Send unauthorized emails and messages
Protection offered by antivirus software
An antivirus is not only used to stop your computer from being threatened by various malware over the Internet. There are different types of threats that are lurking over the Internet; therefore, having the right type of antivirus software will help your system remain uncompromised. The right and efficient antivirus software will help provide protection against the following:
● Virus protection – An efficient antivirus software in the first place will protect your computer from virus attack of any kind that can damage the system.
● Rootkit protection – An antivirus software protects your computer from rootkit being installed in your computer. Rootkit can get embedded deep in the computer to mask different types of malware.
● Bot protection – An antivirus software alerts users in real-time when an attack is being attempted to take control of the computer remotely to use it as an automatic spamming source and for other criminal activities.
● Worm protection – Worms generally attack networks rather than computers. If you have an antivirus software installed in your computer, you can prevent worms from being deposited in your system.
● Trojan horses – Without an effective software, you may not be able to know if you are downloaded a corrupted file over the Internet. However, with the right and updated antivirus for your system, you can get alerts when a malware, such as a Trojan horse, is detected when a file is being installed, when it is running, or it is being opened.
● Spyware – An antivirus software has the ability to spot a spyware infection or a software that is trying to collect or steal data and information, even if is from a legitimate source.
● Messaging protection – It is important to have instant messaging and email security. An efficient antivirus software can warn the users of fraudulent links and dangerous attachments or any dubious instant messages being received.
Why is antivirus extremely essential?
Getting an efficient antivirus software is the need of the hour. There are many things that could be potential threats over the Internet. Some could even be masked behind an innocent-looking link to a video. An antivirus is a watchdog that helps guard your system at all times, especially when you are connected to the Internet or using a removable device on your computer.
The reason why you need a good-quality antivirus is that it safeguards your computer from all incoming threats and destroys, warns, and eradicates any other possible threat that could already be present in your system. It is also important to update your antivirus software, as, with an updated database, any new types of viruses and malware can be averted. This would help the antivirus security software to offer continuous protection. Without antivirus software, your computer and all your data become compromised. Moreover, with a compromised system, your data becomes vulnerable to hackers.
Virus attacks have increased a lot over the years; moreover, there are different and new types of malicious software present. In order to remain safe at this hour, it is important to keep your computer, that houses your personal and financial data, protected by using the right antivirus software.
Antivirus software is the essential step to be taken towards the security of your computer and its network. Antivirus software is available as free or paid subscriptions. However, the paid versions have better features and coverage to offer.
You can choose the right antivirus software for your system and protect your data from any malicious threats.